Thursday, June 12, 2008

My roots

well I have just had the most amazing experience so far in my life. And Cam says the same. We have just returned from Norfolk Island. Its a tiny (only 5x8kms) island off the coast of Oz, closer to New Zealand. Bout 2.5 hour flight from brisbane.
Now why would we go to this island?? Well for anyone who really knows me, who I am, my skin colour and appearance and where I come from has always been HUGE questions and parts of my life. Well Norfolk was my first step into finding out some answers to questions I have always had. Here's some history for you.
Most people know about the H.M.S Bounty or most know it by The Muitny on the Bounty. Well I m a direct descendent of John Adams (who went under the name Alexander Smith, which is a whole other story in itself....ha!!) who was one of the seamen that took mutiny over this ship. Anyway the reason they mutinied was because they had been in Tahiti and there the men had fallin in love with the Tahitian women. 2 of the men (Fletcher Christian and John Adams) had married and their wives were pregnant when they left Tahiti to continue their journey to the West Indies. BUT of course the men wanted to go back so they held a mutiny took over the ship and turned around and went back for their women.
Now they were smart enough to know they couldnt stay in tahiti cause they would come looking for them. So they took their wives, 12 tahitian women, 6 tahitian men and feld. Long story short they ended up in Pitcairn Island. where they stayed for many years until the island which is also extremely tiny was becoming to over populated and the left and arrived in Norfolk Island on June 8 1856. This date is known as Bounty Day or Anniversary Day. This is a large part of why Cam and I went over at this time so we could see and be apart of the day and celebrations.
How our trip unfolds I will have to write again tomorrow. its a long but awesome funny story I will share. But I am dead tired right now so dont feel up to wirting tonight. Until tomorrow......

No comments: